RSS

About Me

I am a 47 year old woman who has lived with bipolar disorder all my life. I first recognized I had a problem when I was in the 8th grade. I went through a turbulant adolesence, which carried on into my adult life. I was finally diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder when I was about 30 years old. So needless to say, I struggled with not only my family members relationships, but with every relationship. At that time, I was a mother of two beautiful daughters. Raising two daughters with full blown bipolar illness. It wasn't easy at all. I went for inpatient hospitization when I was 32 years old when I found myself wandering the streets, barefoot and in tears. After my inpatient treatment I went on to outpatient treatment. I have to say it was the best thing I ever did in my life. After treatment my life began....

Monday, November 30, 2009

My thoughts on LITHIUM


When taking LITHIUM for bipolar disorder you will find it to be one of the best medications. However, you can experience some minor side effects. Clinical tests show that about 75% of people who take LITHIUM for bipolar illness will experience some type of side effect. These side effects will definitely weaken as you go on taking the medication. It's very common for allot of side effects to disappear after adjusting the dosage.

It is suggested that you let your doctor adjust your dosage, don't self medicate, like I always used to try to do.

The most common side effect's are: Hands shaking, diarrhea, thirst, vomiting, weight gain, increased urination, fatigue, hypothyroid, loss of hair, weak, concentration loss, loss of memory, and acne. I must add that I have experience all of these side effect's when taking LITHIUM. LITHIUM is a very strong medication. After time alot of these side effect's went away.

You must immediately consult your doctor if you experience any of the following: Slurred speech, walking difficulty, tripping, confusion, fainting, fever, and rapid heart rate. Express to your doctor all your medical history. Do not drink, drive or use machinery and stay away from all salt.

Do not double up on your medication.

I took LITHIUM for a total of 10 years and dealt with alot of side effect's but I really liked the medication. If I didn't get diabetes insipidus (another side effect), I would still be on it. I now take Trileptol, zoloft and abilify.

0 comments:

Post a Comment