RSS

About Me

I am a 47 year old woman who has lived with bipolar disorder all my life. I first recognized I had a problem when I was in the 8th grade. I went through a turbulant adolesence, which carried on into my adult life. I was finally diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder when I was about 30 years old. So needless to say, I struggled with not only my family members relationships, but with every relationship. At that time, I was a mother of two beautiful daughters. Raising two daughters with full blown bipolar illness. It wasn't easy at all. I went for inpatient hospitization when I was 32 years old when I found myself wandering the streets, barefoot and in tears. After my inpatient treatment I went on to outpatient treatment. I have to say it was the best thing I ever did in my life. After treatment my life began....

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What is Bipolar Disorder?


Bipolar disorders are one of many medical conditions called depressive disorders. Bipolar affects the way a person's brain operates.

Bipolar is widespread. In the USA, it's estimated that more than 18 million adults have Bipolar. That works out to about 1 out of every 8 people, so there's a good chance that you or someone you know is dealing with bipolar.


Bipolar disorder goes by many names: manic depression, manic-depressive disorder, manic-depressive illness, bipolar mood disorder, and bipolar affective disorder are medical terms for the same condition.

Bipolar disorder is classified into two different types: Bipolar I, Bipolar II,. Mental health experts separate the condition into these two types because the symptoms of bipolar disorder show up differently in different people. When doctors know what type someone has, they can tailor treatment to that person's specific needs.

Bipolar is a form of mental illness much comparable to a disease like diabetes. There is a lot of controversy in the term "mental illness". However, it needs to be excepted by oneself and treated long term. Bipolar also known as manic depression is a mental illness. Having a mental illness involves, thinking, perceptions and behaviors that are not considered the "normal" in our particular culture or what society may perceive.

0 comments:

Post a Comment